Sunday, October 7, 2012

Woke up in California, Part 2

It's about damn time I finished this! This is the best part of the story too!

So where did I leave off...yes, I had just arrived in LA and had picked up my luggage and rental car and now needed to find the hotel. I was so relieved, even when I was lost, that the guy working at the hotel was so helpful in helping me find my way. I think he found the situation quite comical. I must have passed the hotel in Beverly Hills several times. I had asked him if it was obvious that it was a hotel and was the name posted on the building and he was cracking up. I did, however, get to drive all around Beverly Hills, crossed over Rodeo Drive several times, and even saw another car circling around who must have been lost as well.

Just driving around LA and Beverly Hills was an amazing experience for me. Being from Florida, you really don't see hills. Everything is just flat. You begin to think this is just what the world looks like. I just remember looking into the distance and seeing hills, it was actually pretty breathtaking.

I finally arrived to my hotel to find that it was more like a dorm setting. The bathrooms and showers were shared. I have never lived in a dorm, so also gained that experience haha. The man who found me being lost so funny was awesome. Even though the hotel was different, I would consider staying there again because he was so helpful and kind. I know people can be jerks everywhere, but they seem so much nicer in California than in southern Florida.

Here is a video proving how childish I can be haha...


After I had dropped my items off I drove back to the airport to pick up my spontaneous counterpart. We immediately decided we needed to act like tourists and see as much as we could before the show! We went to Hollywood to eat and to look around, and to also be near by the venue. We did some walking around and soon found this eccentric and outspoken guy offering a tour. We decided what the heck and went. We got to see a complete view of LA and saw so many celebrity homes. We even saw a bunny pulling into the playboy mansion as Hugh buzzed her in.

Everytime the vehicle would slow down in front of a house,  I would feel more and more like a creeper. For some reason, whenever we slowed down, the brakes would make this horrible creeking sound. I kept imagining someone was home and would hear the sound, and think oh sheesh, there goes another tour of nosey tourists! The tour was a blast though, and the weather was amazing.





Finally, what I had been waiting for, time for the show. We showed up early so we could get close to the stage. There were some other people waiting as well. We did see some people from the bands briging their equipment inside through the back. It was pretty refreshing to see a musician who isn't too good to set up their equipment of carry it inside a venue. I did accidentally mistake Taylor Locke for Brian Bell. From the back he looked very similar. I think he caught me peeking at him so I kept walking!

While waiting to get in, we could hear Brian inside warming up, his vocals sounded great. Then someone walked outside and it looked like Brian Bell, but no, I was fooled, it was Taylor Locke. I felt bad I kept confusing them. It was the hair! Later on, someone did come out of the front door, and I immediately knew it was Brian. I hope I didn't yell it out too loud, but I said "It's definitely him, I saw the eyebrows!".




I wasn't too familiar with Mike Viola at the time, but had started listening to some of his music and definitely knew I liked him. I am pretty sure he was out front talking to some fans. I would know him immediately now if I were to see him, but unfortunately I wasn't too familiar with the band members who were playing that night. I was impressed by everyone who played and became a huge fan of Mike Violas's after seeing him live.

We finally got inside, and were able to get right up to the stage, I mean, literally touching the stage. I am now spoiled for all shows, I need to be touching the stage! Live music is always fun, but being so close to so many amazing artists was an entirely different experience.

Mike Viola came on first, and he was awesome live. Taylor Locke was playing with him that night. I was able to get some great pictures of him!



Here is a video clip I grabbed of Mike :D
Mike Viola - So Much Better LIVE


After Mike Viola was done, I could hear The Relationship getting ready. I could hear Brian talking and making sure everything was sounding perfect. It was great to see him in the lead role, and not as back up, he really is very talented. 

I knew their album sounded great, but having the opportunity to hear the songs live was amazing. He sounds even better live than on the record somehow. I knew all the words and was dancing along to all the songs, and got some great video and pictures. The set went by so fast. Nate Shaw was great, and I swear he was posing for some of my pictures! I have some pictures below and links to some videos I took. 











At the end of the show Brian said that he may be out to say hello. I was still confident I would get my CD signed and get to say hi to him. Before the curtains fell, my friend David, grabbed a set list off the stage for me. I was so excited. I have never had a set list before. He told me I should get Brian to sign it, but I was paranoid I did something wrong by taking it! Now I'm wondering why I thought he would have cared haha! A few minutes later, I saw Brian walking behind me towards the merch booth in the back. I waited a minute, casually walked over, smiled and said hi. We had a small conversation and he took a picture with me and signed my CD. He was wearing this really awesome bow tie too. 

Maybe my voice was a little shaky at first when I was talking to him because he asked me if I had an accent. I looked at him surprised and said "Really??". He told me yes and I believe he said it sounded european. So there goes me in his ear, "Do I sound like I have an accent now???". I can always find a way to be weird with new people I meet. He told me no, he no longer heard the accent. My first time meeting Brian Bell, or anyone of celebrity status and I yell in their ear. I wanted to talk to him about other things, but it's okay. 


I found this next picture hilarious. He clearly looks disgusted by whatever I am saying to him. I believe the flash on the camera surprised him. I didn't even realize this picture was being taken haha! Thanks David :D


David and Mr. Brian Bell



After I met Brian I got to see FOW perform. Mike Viola even got back on stage and did a song with them.
Later on, David happened to notice Mike Viola in the crowd, just watching and enjoying the rest of the FOW set. I went over to him to say hello. I told him I traveled all the way from Florida and was being spontaneous and never get to do things like this. He told me I should be spontaneous more often and invited me to a show he was playing and gave me a flyer. I had him sign this and he was nice enough to take a picture with me. This picture was literally the last photo my camera would take before the camera died. I believe as the photo was being taken I was asking if it died. 



Thank you so much to Mike Viola and Brian Bell for kindly putting up with me :D Thank you David for stealing me a set list and flying out to LA to join me in my adventure! Myself and David decided to play some music after the show. Here is a link for that video, from the one time, when we were in Beverly Hills :D.
El Scorcho Cover in Beverly Hills, CA





No comments:

Post a Comment